Choo Chee Goong


I always vowed that I wouldn't make Thai food at home. I wanted some cuisine to eat if and when my husband and I are fortunate enough to have date night. Well, I have broken my promise. Choo Chee Goong, or Thai Red Curry with Prawns, is one of my favourite Thai dishes. When we go to our other favourite Thai restaurant, we make sure this dish is one we order.

The centrepiece of this meal is the sauce. The red paste marries so well with the basil and curry leaves. The prawns are the perfect protein for this meal. They don't bring a heavy taste that beef or lamb would, the prawn themselves are subtle. I am so very happy I didn't listen to myself and made this dish!




Ingredients



250 - 350g fresh prawns (or frozen pre-cooked)
165ml coconut cream
2-3 tablespoons Red Curry Paste
400ml coconut milk
½ tablespoon fish sauce or to taste
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
Handful of Thai basil and curry leaves
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
½ - 1 cup steamed stirfry vegetables
Peanut oil

Method



Peel and devein the prawns, discarding the head. Butterfly each prawn by making a small incision into the outer edge of the prawn.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of peanut oil into a large saucepan or wok. Once heated, add the curry paste and chilli. Cook for 2-3 mins.
Add the coconut cream stirring constantly, for about 5 mins or until fragrant,
Add the prawns and coconut milk, and bring gently to a boil. Add fish sauce, basil, curry leaves and dark brown sugar. Simmer. After 5 minutes of cooking, add in vegetables. Cook for a further 5 mins.
Add cornflour to thicken sauce.
Serve with steamed rice.

No comments :

Post a Comment